This recipe is a one-two punch: sneak in some brussels sprouts for your unsuspecting family (or yourself) and enjoy a plateful of pasta, guilt-free.
Makes 4 servings Prep Time 30 min
- 8 ounce whole wheat spaghetti
- Olive oil
- 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb fresh brussels sprouts, rinsed and sliced
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup low-fat Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving one cup of drained water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan.Â Saute garlic fragrant but not brown.Â Add brussels sprouts and nutmeg to pan.Â Cook until the sprouts become brighter in color, about 5 minutes.
- Add reserved cooking liquid from noodles, cheese, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to pan.Â Cook for five more minutes over medium heat.
- Add drained pasta and shrimp.Â Mix to combine and heat through.Â Â Serve.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 400, Protein: 38g, Carbs: 56g, Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 180mg, Sodium: 350mg
(Image via tastefoodblog)